Friday, January 24, 2020

RiP Christopher Tolkien and Others, New Project, Robert Burns, and A New Look

Well, I've done it again. I was trying to figure out how to get Blogger to show more than three posts per page, and in the midst of all that, have chosen a new template.

It's a bit easier on the eyes, but I'd like to tweak some of the colours, the next time I have time.

It does sort of put paid to my continuous use of drop caps though. I've been using Daily Drop Cap for years, but this new theme doesn't showcase the letters as well as the former ones did.

Some sad news: in the past couple of weeks, actor Derek Fowlds, Neil Peart of Rush, and Christopher Tolkien have passed away.

I first found out through Dr Dimitra Fimi
The statement from the Tolkien Society came later

The first news was from his local Var Marin newspaper
John D Rateliff shared his first thoughts
John Garth shared a clip of Christopher Tolkien reading from The Lord of the Rings and later wrote the obituary for The Guardian
I tweeted about the History of Middle-Earth books...

...and Neil Gaiman

The German Tolkien Society had a lovely tribute
The next day, I read The Saga of King Heidrik the Wise...

...and blogged about riddles and Alvin Schwartz...

...then cried at this memory...

...that Christopher Tolkien shared about his father



Finally, Marcel Aubron-Bülles has been collecting as many of the Twitter tributes as can. Do visit his page!


Burns night!


Here are two poems by Robert Burns:


A Red, Red Rose, which I had to memorise and recite back in grade school

Tam O'Shanter, which features as the intro to Ghost House by Whisky Trench Riders
Read the rest of the poem here


Finally, my new project: another knitting project!

I was asked to knit a red superhero scarf...

I used the pattern for which my knitting blog is named!

Recommended needle size is 5mm, but any size will work; use any wool you like!
Cast on 34 stitches
Knit 2, *Purl 1, wrap yarn over, Purl 2 together, Knit 1*
Repeat ** to end; all rows are the same, repeat to desired scarf length; cast off

Superhero!

Have you finished any quick projects recently?
What do you think of this layout?
Do you have any Blogger layout tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment