Saturday, January 28, 2012

Scattered Knitters, Roald Dahl, and The Vicar of Dibley

There's a name for my condition!

Karen Gowen calls herself a scattered knitter, and that's just what I seem to be turning into: "Some years I don't do anything but the occasional scarf, other times I'll knit up a storm and try new yarns and more complex patterns."

Meanwhile, I reread a wonderful Roald Dahl quote the other day:
"If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." ― Roald Dahl, The Twits
That has nothing to do with knitting, exactly, but maybe it speaks to our intentions while creating, in a Like Water for Chocolate sort of way (which book I haven't actually read yet). If you're knitting someone a gift, it helps to keep your hands clean, your wool untangled, and your thoughts happy.

That said, I think I'll pick up that kilt hose from where I last left off...

In my ongoing look at knitting in the media, I realised I might not have put up Vicar of Dibley clips before! Here are the characters discussing great storms they've lived through, while Miss Cropley knits.


For you writers out there, Cathy Campbell's discovered a great resource on the history of British winters from 1616 till now. The great storm of 1947...

2 comments:

  1. LOL, such an awesome knitting post! Glad I could inspire you hehe. That Roald Dahl quote made me excited to read a Roald Dahl book. The Twits sounds just about right. And now to go off thinking happy thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Karen. I feel like rereading Matilda...

    ReplyDelete